Mr. H and I received a Kindle Fire for Christmas from his parents! I have already downloaded multiple books and formed a very fond relationship with the devise in the last 48 hours. Love this thing!
It makes me very nervous to have the Kindle sitting out unprotected and I've been thinking of ordering a protective case or sleeve online. Now, I'm sure these things are great but $30-50?! Really?! So...guess what I did...yep, I made one! Ha!
Alright, here it goes :)
Gather some old jeans that were favorites but are now too thread bare and hole-y to be worn anymore but you still have in the closet because you just can't part with them and some felt. Does that felt look familiar? It's the left over pieces from the wreath.
Fold the felt over your Kindle (or iPad, or whatever). I'm using two layers of felt because that's what I had left over and why not be a little extra kooshie :)
With your device inside the felt, pin the bottom and edge. Leave the top open.
Sew around the two pinned sides.
Now position your little felt pocket in the jeans. I cut the back of one leg off the jeans. I just cut across the waistband and down both sides of the leg. This left me with one pocket and then some plain denim below. I wanted the pocket to be part of my cover so I positioned my felt part accordingly. This is really just personal preference. Tinker with the positioning until you have something you like.
Once you like the positioning, pin it in place.
Realize that you need to sew with right sides together, flip the whole thing inside out, and pin again. Ha!
Sew right next to your pin lines. Get as straight as you can but kind of just wing it :)
Turn it back right-side-out, hold your breath, and rejoice a little when your felt pocket and Kindle actually fit inside!!
Flip it back inside out real quick and trim off the extra material next to both seems.
With it turned the right side out again (sorry, no more flipping!) sew on a cute little button. This will hold the top closed and help protect the beloved Kindle inside.
Turn the edges of the felt and jeans down so the opening looks nice and pin it in place.
Make a small loop of elastic and pin that in between the felt and jeans layer.
Then sew all the way around the top and you're done!!
Fast, easy, and cheap! The trifecta!!!
2 comments:
And we didn't even have to hunt the hot glue gun! Love, Grandpa Corky and Grandma Ele
What a neat idea do you suppose you could do it with something other then jeans?
Post a Comment