Yep, that someone is me :) I all too often find myself up tight about things that do not deserve my energies, both emotional and physical. If you know my parents, you will probably sigh and say that's to be expected. And yes, while they can both worry about things in life, I will gladly bear this "burden" if it means I gained so many wonderful qualities from them as well. They taught me to love deeply and unconditionally, they taught me about forgiveness, they taught me about honest, integrity, and the value of following through when you commit to something. They taught me to care about complete strangers, they taught me to dream of a better world than the one currently in existence and work to make this better world a reality. They taught me to be thankful. They taught me compassion and empathy. They taught me about my Savior. These lessons and attributes did not come from long lectures or one-sided discussions as I grew up, they simply came from living in their presence. They are two incredible people that bless my life beyond measure. Thanks mom and dad, I love you.
Okay...down off my high horse about the incredible couple that is my parents...and on to the subject of worry. I worry. There, I said it. Isn't the first step of recovery to admit you have a problem? I can honestly say I have been worrying less and chilling out more lately. Most of that is thanks to my wonderfully sweet and patient hubby! He knows how to chill and relax, a quality that is not always valued in today's society of workaholics like myself. There is definitely something to be said for just relaxing. Whether it's watching a movie, perusing the internet, going for a long drive, sitting outside on the porch, or anything else often labeled "unproductive", these activities are valuable parts of someone's day. If I don't have the perfect powerpoint lesson ready to tomorrow's 5th hour but I am able to spend some quality time with my husband just sitting on the couch, I will choose sitting on the couch. If the laundry pile is getting a little big but I just really don't feel like tackling it til tomorrow, who really cares? Is it going to hurt someone? Nope. If the house is getting a little messy? If I don't know how my school district is going to make up the mountain of snow days we have accumulated? If my assistance principal comes to observe my rowdy, crazy class? You know what, life happens. Chill out. Take a deep breath in. Breathe in life and love and joy. Breathe out tension and anger and worry. Smile. The sun will still rise tomorrow and the Lord will still be seated on His magnificent throne (He even loves me!).
So here is to us, all you workaholics like me out there, leave it at work sometimes! Go home. You only get one life, spend it enjoying time with those people that matter. Work and chores will always be there when the fun is over...
The three most wonderful and important people in my life!
The "picture" currently sitting framed on my desk.


3 comments:
Good advice :) I'm guilty of the same productivity obsessions. Glad to hear you're relaxing some and enjoying each day!
Your Mother and Dad did a fantastic job raising a wonderful little girl. Teaching you all of the above. Always keep this close to your heart.
You have accomplished much and have greater things ahead for you and Matt.
We love you both..
Love, G'ma & G'pa
Also one of the wonderful things I have learned from my hubby :) And so true!
Post a Comment